2016 Washington Wheat Industry Resources for Understanding the Low Falling Number Issue
The following resources were assembled to help growers and wheat industry members understand issues surrounding low falling number in wheat.
Washington Association of Wheat Growers and the Washington Grain Commission
- August 2016 Washington Association of Wheat Growers Green Sheet Falling Number Update.
- August/September 2013 Wheat Life Article titled “Preventing Those Falling Number Blues” by Camille Steber, Arron Carter and Mike Pumphrey.
- July 2014 Wheat Life Article titled “Falling Numbers: Research Strategies to Stay Out of the Red” by Camille Steber, Arron Carter and Mike Pumphrey.
- 2013, “The Falling Numbers Test”, Washington Grain Inspection Lab, Spokane. Video courtesy of the Washington Associate of Wheat Growers and Washington Grain Commission.
Washington State University and the USDA-ARS
- The WSU Small Grains web site, July 11, 2016 Timely Topic “Recent Weather Could Affect Wheat Quality”.
- Camille Steber’s (USDA-ARS Scientist) Low Falling Numbers web site describing the Washington Grain Commission-funded project on falling numbers and wheat variety screening.
Idaho Wheat Commission
- YouTube video in the USDA-ARS Western Wheat Quality Laboratory with Art Bettge “What is the Falling Number Test?” Video courtesy of the Idaho Wheat Commission.
- YouTube Video from the Idaho Wheat Commission “Reducing Discounts for Low Falling Numbers”.
View this page in PDF format.